Build your own greenhouse:
There are a couple of ways to build your own greenhouse:
Building your own greenhouse
may sound like a big task to take on, but it really isn’t.
Greenhouse Building Links:
Build Greenhouse - Hoop Houses
Building a Backyard Greenhouse - Greenhouse Video made out of 2 Litre Pop bottles.
Building a Greenhouse - Galvanized Steel Hoops.
Hobby Greenhouse - Why build a Greenhouse in your backyard?
Home Greenhouses - Hoop House Plans and the information to help you grow year round.
Homemade Greenhouse - Video on how to build a Cold Frame.
How to Make a Greenhouse - Information.
It pays to be prepared. Here is a list of a few of the basic things needed to build your own Greenhouse:
- A set of detailed Greenhouse Plans or GH Kit
- Prepare a list of Materials needed to build the greenhouse – many of the plans will include this, will save you time and money – think of the gas you’ll save with only one trip to the store.
- Along with materials it is important to know what tools will be needed.
- Choose the right location (knowing the location will help with choosing the size of greenhouse that is appropriate, bigger is better – room to grow)
- What kind of Greenhouse will be built? Visit the Greenhouse Kit page for more info on the different materials that can be used, this will give a good idea even if the greenhouse is being built from scratch.
- If you are like me you may be on a budget – not all greenhouses are created equal, nor is their cost.
Plumbing and Electrical:
If planning to build your own greenhouse, I would like to suggest that the plumbing and electrical work be done by professionals in accordance with local codes.
I just feel that my suggesting that is the responsible thing to do. When dealing with electricity and water……. well you know.
If forging on and one plans to take this task on themselves it is highly recommended that a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) Outlet be used for the safety of the gardener and others, this outlet will trip a breaker and cut the power automatically if need be…. safety first.
Build your own Greenhouse - You can do it
Greenhouses are very practical to have nowadays especially when the prices of crops in the market are becoming more and more expensive, not to mention the food safety scares that we have seen lately.
I highly recommend checking out the Greenhouse Plans and Projects page. As there are a lot of step by step pictures of other hobbyists projects, as well as some great step by step plans.
If the task of building a greenhouse using plans seems to be too daunting using a greenhouse kit may be a better fit. Check out the video of an Aluminum Greenhouse Kitsbeing installed.
This page will also give a good idea as to the amount of effort that will have to be put forward in building a greenhouse.
Join our newsletter and we will keep you up to date with new how to information, to help you grow with us.
Build your own Greenhouse - mini version:
Here a couple of good projects to start with - Build your own mini greenhouse:
- Add hoops to your raised bed by bending and connecting PVC pipe in an arch over the bed. (See a video of this on our Greenhouse Videos Indexpage.
- 2-2 litre pop bottles – cut the top (spout portion) from both of the bottles, and fill one with moist mix of sand and potting soil. Plant your cutting (up to 10 or so) or seeds and cover the soil and plant portion, of the bottle, with the other part of the bottle. The height of this mini greenhouse can then be adjusted as the height of the plants grow, by sliding the top portion up. Holes can be drilled in the top portion of the bottle to assure that there is air ventilation for the plants.
Please contact us with any projects, questions, pictures, or suggestions. Seen a video that you really like and would like us to add it, shoot us an e-mail
From Build your own Greenhouse to Greenhouse Plans